POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : stop the ride - : Re: stop the ride - Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:12:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: stop the ride -
From: John VanSickle
Date: 4 Dec 2007 18:09:32
Message: <4755de2c$1@news.povray.org>
Mueen Nawaz wrote:
> John VanSickle wrote:
>> The only genuinely human-induced famines (and the only famines to strike
>> industrialized nations) occurred in communist nations, whether due to
>> the sheer incompetence of the communist system (China's Great Leap
>> Forward starved millions) or malice of communist leaders (Lenin
>> purposefully starved millions of people).
>
> 	Saying "only" is a stretch.
>
> 	Recently there was a "famine" in Niger. There was no real shortage of
> food. Plenty of food was available, but it was unaffordable:
>
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/famine/story/0,12128,1540214,00.html
>
> Niger is anything but a communist country.

Well, I stand corrected; the only cases of human-induced *mass
starvation* occurred in nations claiming to follow some form of Marxism.

As for the people in Niger, I am not quite persuaded (especially by an
article claiming that the UN and France favor free market solutions to
anything) that any genuinely free market is the primary cause of the
situation there.

Regards,
John